Last month we published a blog about why recruiters don’t respond to my job applications. This great infographic from Freeresumebuilder.org offers some more helpful tips on how to make your CV stand out so that recruiters contact YOU for the job.
The best take away from this infographic is using keywords in your CV. It is no longer enough to just list your employment with company names and dates employed. Modern recruitment systems rely on searching for a candidate CVs with specific skills and knowledge; the cover letter does not appear in these searches.
To increase your chances of being found:
1. Think about what your do in your job and what you have knowledge of.
2. Are there any other words which would describe this? For example Purchase Ledger may also be known as Accounts Payable.
3. Now think of the tasks you complete – a Purchase Ledger Clerk may undertake credit notes, sales ledger and purchase order matching.
4. Think about accomplishments, for example training staff, which will be relevant to your next career move.
5. Then add these keywords to your CV.
Two final tips to help you on your way:
1. Always, always proof read your CV. Spell checker will not tell you that you have written ‘form’, when you really mean ‘from’. Poor spelling and grammar is often frowned upon by employers.
2. Above all, be honest on your CV; it will only come back to haunt you if you are dishonest.